Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Eclipse 2017

After a full day at the Newport Art Festival at 6pm I drove from Newport, WA to just Southeast of Silverton, OR.  Made short stop at home to shower and load the cameras. Left home at 9:00pm and arrived at Silverton site at 11:50pm I set up my night camp in the back of my 2016 Rav4 and was in bed at 12:30am. 

At 6:04am I woke to light pink clouds on the horizon as the sun got ready to rise at 6:12am. Setting up my Canon 6D to shoot at 24mm so sun would be centered over a rolling hill of recently mowed wheat field.  My 7D was set to photograph with just the sun centered (that was a little bit of a challenge) in the frame.  I viewed the eclipse solely via live view on the cameras back screen.

I haven't had a chance to process the 6D photos yet, Those to come soon, but here are a few from the 7D.  Shots done with Canon EF 400mm f1:5.6 L with Quantaray 2x AF doubler and Hitech 100x100mm ND 4.8 16 stop filter for an effective 1,280mm.
 
Shortly after start of moons incursion onto Sun 
 
 Sun covered at approximately 50% by Moon
 
 30 seconds into Totality
 
 1st shot of end of Totality
 
My drive to Silverton took approximately 3 hours (from home).  My drive home (left site at 12:30pm. Arrived home at 8:56pm) you can do the math. I saw more back roads (love waze taking me around traffic backups) than I ever thought I would.

I will say that the trip was more than worth the time invested. Truly a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad that I decided to make the trip.

Have a wonderful rest of the week.  Weekend is only 2 days away.  Don't forget your Camera.

Aloha,
Aaron

No comments: