Monday, May 30, 2016

Maui Humpback Whales

With whale season just ending and most of the whales long gone as I was searching for a photo I came across a bunch of whale shots I took last year in the 3rd week of March.  I got looking thru them and remembering how plentiful & active they were last season decided to post a few

Humpback Whales in the waters between Maui & Lanai taken in March 2015

Head slap
 
Coming up from down deep
Going Down
Breaching

It was quite obvious this year that the number and activity of the whales was considerably less than 2015.  It's my understanding that this is in great part to El Nino and the effects it has had on the currents and water temperatures.  2015 was the most active and number of Humpbacks that I've seen in the 20 years I've lived on Maui.

Happy Memorial Day. Please remember those that have sacrificed so that we have the freedoms we have in the USA.
Aloha, 
Aaron 

No comments: